Monday, December 17, 2012

Injinji Socks Review

I got a few pairs of Injinji crew length socks (photo below) for my birthday and have been running in them over the past few weeks. I had a shorter pair before, but found they were too short to prevent rubbing of the shoe cuff on my longer runs. There are many MDS runners that say these socks are perfect for the race so I thought I'd give them another go.
I asked for dark colors and, while this doesn't stop them getting dirty, it does hide the results of multiple muddy trail runs. They do a good job of separating the toes, which reduces the chances of blisters from toes rubbing together. They are also quite thin which perhaps helps emphasize the noticeable increase in awareness of the trail texture but does little to protect the big and little toes and the tips of the toes from rubbing against the shoe. I also asked for both wool and coolmax socks: from experience with thermal tops, wool is a lot less stinky over time; but, with the availability of laundry facilities I'm hard pressed to tell the difference between the two materials (maybe I should try a sniff test after letting them mature for a couple of post run days).
After four weeks of testing I'll probably take both types to the race, but I think I'll use them as liners socks with a second regular pair over the top: on the advice of previous competitors I'll be wearing shoes half a size to big to allow for swelling later in the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I've been running since I found that I was not that good at ball sports at school. In 2006 I ran the New York marathon with my brother and completed a 50K race each year following that. In 2011 I did my first 50 miler, the Ocean to Sound, and in 2012 I got into the Marathon des Sables for April 2013. I will be raising money for Doctors Without Borders/ Médecins Sans Frontières. I am also looking for corporate sponsorship.