Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Fire Island Beach Run

Here are a few photos from my run along the beach at Smith Point last Friday.

I though it might be a good idea to get in a few long runs on the sand and Fire Island provides miles of uninterrupted level beach. I did a run in the soft sand further west during the summer, all that's left following super storm Sandy is firm to hard packed sand, but the run was still very satisfying.

The wind was an icy blast from the west, but as the sun came out and half my run was with the wind behind me it wasn't so bad; having the beach to myself more than made up for it (I didn't see another soul on the sand the whole time I was there).

I started into the wind, but had to turn around after less than a half an hour where the island had been cut in two by Sandy; heading east I ran for another hour and three quarters before once more heading back into the wind to return to my car.

As I ran I found huge empty sections where the dunes had been swept away and large patches of purple, perhaps the remains of ground up clam shells.

















No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I've been running since I found that I was not that good at ball sports at school. In 2006 I ran the New York marathon with my brother and completed a 50K race each year following that. In 2011 I did my first 50 miler, the Ocean to Sound, and in 2012 I got into the Marathon des Sables for April 2013. I will be raising money for Doctors Without Borders/ Médecins Sans Frontières. I am also looking for corporate sponsorship.